Rss Feed
  1. Allegiant

    Friday, January 3, 2014

    The long-awaited finale to the Divergent Trilogy is here!
    Because of exams and other claims on my time, there has been a significant gap between when I read this book and when I am writing the review. I will do my best to remember it accurately :)

    Allegiant
    by Veronica Roth
    Check it out on Amazon!
    Judge the Cover:

    This symbol is new, and to be honest I don't get it. But it looks exciting and tidal wave-y.
    Plus, an airport...

    What's Going On:

    (SPOILER ALERT! Make sure you're up to date on all things Divergent/Insurgent before you read on!)

    The saga continues with Allegiant taking place just days after the shocking conclusion of Insurgent. The city has swapped Jeanine Matthew's serum-induced regime for Evelyn Johnson's factionless tyranny that forbids anyone to act on the new knowledge of their world. Tris and Tobias join the Allegiant resistance movement, and escape beyond the fence to uncover more truth and lies about their existence than you ever thought possible! Duh duh duh duuuuuuh....

    Optimal Reading ScenarioIn-flight Entertainment

    This is the book you should pick up in that over-priced airport convenience store. Its fast-paced enough to keep you turning pages for the duration of that excruciatingly long flight or layover, and it won't require a lot of brainpower.
    Bonus: its a trilogy, so pick up the other two and read them all!

    Crack It Open:

    "You don't believe things because they make your life better, you believe them because they are true." 

    Things get interesting in Allegiant. For one thing, there is a new POV: we get to see things from Tobias's perspective about 50% of the time. While this is necessary for the plot, I found it a little disorientating at times.

    As far as characters go, I've come to accept that this is just not the trilogy for me. Sure Tris and Tobias grow up a little (I was finally starting to warm up to Tris, and then the book ended...geez), but I'm just not impressed with the supporting cast who remain pretty stagnant throughout. I tried to wrap my brain around Caleb, and Peter, but their characters are just a bit too much of a stretch for me.

    But exploring beyond the fence...! This is what I have been waiting for you guys! What is going on out there? Where the heck did this society come from? How are the Divergent supposed to help? All the fundamental questions that have been pushed to the sidelines because of more pressing matters are finally getting their time in the spotlight. The pace is a little slower in this book than the others, but it worked for me, because there was so much to develop and take in. It made the final chapters seem more climactic by contrast, which is important for the end result. There are a lot of political themes presented in this book, and overall I thought it was thought-provoking, and ended on a strong note...and what a note!

    Well done Ms Roth. I heard you wrote this series while in university, and I am a little bit in awe of you!

    Regis Reads Rating: * * *

    Mischievous Monkey Rating: 1.5

    Death, violence, explosions, tragedy...extra hot sauce...you know what's on the menu by now!

    Well, that's it for the Divergent trilogy! It was a good run. What's the next Young Adult series I should read?

    Disclaimer: These are my own opinions, I am not getting compensation of any kind for reviewing this book. Dangit.


  2. 2 comments:

    1. netablogs said...

      Hey, it's really hard to find the 'comment' box with this template. But good review!

    2. Jill said...

      Thanks ma! Not sure how to fix the comment box thing though :(

    Post a Comment

    Leave a comment, recommendation, or constructive criticism!