Rss Feed
  1. Why Shoot a Butler?

    Friday, November 22, 2013

    I heard the name Georgette Heyer referred to as being "very Agatha Christie", with this particular book recommended as a first read. Being a rather enthusiastic Christie fan, I knew I had to check it out!  
    Why Shoot a Butler?
    By Georgette Heyer
    Check it out on Amazon
    Judge the Cover:

    This cover tells me 3 things that I like : 
    1. I don't know anything about cars, but this look like it might be set in the 30's or 40's. 
    2. The car appears to be moving very quickly, with what I assume to be a lady (its a little blurry, ok?) at the wheel. I take this to mean we have an interesting female lead, and the story will be fast-paced.
    3. I spy with my little eye an English countryside...

    What's Going On:

    Its the early 1930's and Frank Amberley is a successful barrister on his way to visit his relatives in the quaint English town of Upper Nettlefold, when he happens upon a crime scene- a dead man shot in his car, and a young woman nearby who protests she knows nothing about it. Though he can't prove anything against her, Amberley is sure she is hiding something.
    It isn't long before the case gets complicated and the incompetent local police force are forced to swallow their pride and ask the arrogant amateur detective for his assistance.
    Amberley knows he can solve the mystery surrounding the murder and Miss Shirley Brown's part in it, but time is a precious commodity, and it's running out...

    Optimal Reading Scenario: A Classy Evening In

    Its all about the quality of time, not quantity, you spend reading this one. Turn on the smooth vintage jazz, and sink into your velvet upholstered wingback chair with your book and a glass of merlot. Enjoy the moment. A crackling fire in the hearth, and a sleeping cat or dog nearby are conducive to the atmosphere, but keep away from the phone and tv- you need to concentrate. It's classy time! 

    Crack it Open:

    "Dear me! Am I going to see more of you?" She inquired. 
    "You are going to see much more of me than you want to," said Mr Amberley grimly. 
    "I've done that already," She informed him in a voice of great sweetness.

    If Sir A. Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie had a literary lovechild, the result would be something like this.

    Our main man, the famous barrister Frank Amberley, is sarcastic and condescending to almost everyone he comes in contact with, which he claims a right to by being intellectually superior. Despite his rude and know-it-all ways, there is something indefinably attractive in his authoritative manner, and contrasting moments of unexpected sensitivity and gentleness. By the end of the story I was quite taken with him, against my better judgement. 

    The novel is complete with everything you could want in a vintage mystery: burglaries, foggy nighttime meetings by the river, car chases, masked balls, kidnapping...you name it. Each and every player in the mystery, from Sergeant Gubbins to Aunt Marion (especially Aunt Marion!), exudes personality that is both familiar and satisfying, and Georgette Heyer skillfully infuses the dialogue with understated humor that made me giggle and grin like the book geek I am. In my head, I was watching the story unfold as an old black and white movie with the swoony old-fashioned accents and glamorous costumes, which is a very pleasant way to spend a quiet evening. 

    The mystery itself is satisfying, though I doubt it will blow anyone's mind. If you have Amberley's brains (which I don't) you may be able to pick up on all the clues and red herrings, and solve it yourself. While I couldn't piece it together one hundred percent, I had a pretty good idea of who was behind it all, so I wasn't shocked at the conclusion, but I did enjoy hearing how it all fit together. Nevertheless, it was a fun ride, and worth a couple of evenings to read.

    If you like the characters and romantic British setting of a Christie novel, and the logical deduction and cool intelligence of Sherlock Holmes, you will certainly enjoy trying to solve Why Shoot a Butler?

    Regis Reads Rating: * * *

    Mischievous Monkey Rating = 0 

    Of course there is death involved in a murder mystery, but there is nothing terribly morbid or gory here.

    Have you heard of Georgette Heyer? Do you enjoy old-fashioned British murder mysteries? Will you play detective with Why Shoot a Butler? 

     Disclaimer: These are my own opinions, I am not getting compensation of any kind for reviewing this book. Dangit. 


  2. 1 comments:

    1. netablogs said...

      Mmmm.. I'd rather watch a mystery than read one, but I may have to try this one! You are an awesome writer!

    Post a Comment

    Leave a comment, recommendation, or constructive criticism!